Sweet potatoes are one of the most beneficial vegetables in the market. It is rich in flavor and gives off a soft, comfort-food like appeal when it’s made the right way.
One of the ways people make sweet potatoes is by cutting into pieces and frying them in oil, or boiling them in water and finishing them off in the oven.
Maybe you’re trying to eat healthier, avoid fried foods, or look for a way to make sweet potatoes without the hassle of prepping and switching from stove to oven.
This article will explain four different methods of cooking sweet potatoes in the oven, that will significantly benefit health, convenience, and time while retaining its great flavor.
Baking Sweet Potatoes
Baking sweet potatoes whole is one of the easiest, yet most tasteful ways of cooking them oven-wise. It gives off a firm, flaky texture followed by crispy outer skin. Depending on the size of the potato, cooking time will average between 50 – 55 minutes.
- Place the whole washed potatoes on a non-stick baking sheet, poking small holes into the potato in decrease cooking time.
- Wrap around in aluminum foil to prevent the outer skin from burning.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes at 400 degrees, checking halfway for any burns or need to flip the potato.
- Stick a chopstick in the center of the potato. If it goes in smoothly and comes out with its contents stuck on the stick, it is done.
Broiling Sweet Potatoes
Broiling sweet potatoes can be a great alternative to grilling, it gives off a very charred flavor, making the outer side crispy and the middle soft and tender. Cooking time is approximately 15-20 minutes depending on the type of appliance.
- Place sliced, washed sweet potatoes in a bowl and toss with a small amount of oil.
- Place on a non-stick baking sheet and place under the broiler (at medium setting if possible) for 15 minutes
- Take the sheet out and flip potatoes and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Add salt and leave for a few minutes to cool off.
Boiling Sweet Potatoes
Boiling sweet potatoes in the oven can be a great way to cook them in a fast and secure manner while keeping their texture into place. Cooking time is approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Place cut potatoes in a baking pan filled ¾ of the way with water, salt and cinnamon if desired.
- Cover top with aluminum foil ¾ of the way.
- Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes or until the water evaporates.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Roasting Sweet Potatoes
Roasting sweet potatoes is the overall best way of cooking sweet potatoes. It is golden brown with a crispy outer side, followed by a soft tender middle that gives off its intense sweet potato flavor. Cooking time is approximately 30-35 minutes, depending on size.
- Place cut potatoes in a bowl and toss with salt and oil.
- Place on a baking tray and into the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
- Take out and stir/flip the potatoes.
- Place back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes until the outer side is golden brown.
- Insert fork. If it slides in easily, the potatoes are done.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes and enjoy!
These four methods will turn your sweet potatoes into a beautiful dish, whether it’s a side dish or an entrée, it will leave them tasting great as ever. It’s essential to check on them halfway through cooking to make sure they don’t overburn due to its sweetness. Baking sweet potatoes is a much healthier and more fabulous option compared to frying. I hope this article has helped you come up with different methods of cooking sweet potatoes. Share this article with your friends and family that like sweet potatoes as well. Thank you for reading and have a blessed day!
Peace & Positivity.